This content will be shown before all post
I first learned how to make a ginger bug from Jane in the Fermenter’s Kitchen Facebook group. Since then I have enjoyed the natural sodas I can use the bug to create even more than water kefir! It creates a super fizzy and refreshing soda and is the ultimate choice for anyone struggling with soda addiction!
The best part is that it is very easy to make. All you need is a jar, ginger, sugar, and a little time (about 5-7 days).
Ginger Bug Starter
1 cup water
FRESH Ginger WITH SKIN (get at least 1/2 lb)
1. Put a cup of water in your jar, and add 3 tsp grated ginger and 2 tsps of sugar and stir, stir, stir! You want to incorporate LOTS of bubbles. If you just slice the ginger finely, it will still be OK.
2. You are going to be adding the 3 tsp ginger and 2 tsp sugar every day, and stirring as often as you remember to incorporate more bubbles.
3. Once your bug starts to fizz, you’re almost there! Keep following Step 2 until it’s really fizzy and hisses at you. Then you can start using it to make sodas right away or close it and stick it in th fridge until you’re ready to use it.
Caring For Your Ginger Bug
- Always reserve at least 1/4 cup and replace water as much as you removed so you can keep your bug going. Some have had theirs for years!
- Try and remember to feed it once in a while. I’m bad at this! I sometimes forget to feed mine for weeks and it gets really alcoholic but it still makes great soda. If I want the hint of alcohol gone, I’ll pour out most of the liquid (maybe leaving a tbsp) and all the ginger, add lots of fresh ginger and a couple tablespoons of sugar and let it sit out and get bubbly again. But most of the time I just use as is.
I’ll be sharing some of my favorite soda recipes in the weeks to come, so get started on your ginger bug and stay tuned!This content will be shown after all post