Spicy Fermented Daikon Recipe
This recipe makes 1 quart
- 1 1/2 lbs daikon radish
- 1/2 medium onion (any kind works, I like vidalia)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp raw, sweet variety honey
- 15 g salt (approx 1 tbsp)
- 2 cups filtered water (approximately)
Peel and cut daikon into thin chips (or sticks). I use a mandoline slicer for even thickness.
Put spices into jar
Fill jar with daikon chips/sticks
Mix up your brine (the salt, honey and water) and pour over the daikon. You want them submerged.
Close jar and ferment 5-7 days. Move the fridge where you can enjoy right away or age longer!
Ginger: You can sub 1 tbsp ginger powder if necessary, but fresh ginger works best!
Brine: Generally you need 5g of salt per cup of water for this recipe. Your jar should be filled to the shoulder, only leaving 1-1.5 inches of space above.